Saturday, July 10, 2010

Few Random Morsels

OK...

I am really getting a little discouraged. No one wants to hear or watch my concerto. 0 hits.

Well all things take time. Besides who knows a music man from little old Wasco CA? That may be the only thing extraordinary about this music. Everything else about it could be considered passe.

First, to enjoy it you'd have to enjoy Classial genre. Second, apparently the choice of CORE AUDIO as the media of an acoustically-intended work is the same as the death pin through a drunken sailor's nose. There seems to be a societal reaction against anything synthesized, from plastic wrap to spastic RAP.

"Acoustic" is considered "pure." "Synthetic," "impure." Synthesis is bringing diverse elements or concepts together to form a unique whole. It is a process which combines, refines and bonds. Synthesis made aspirin possible. Penicillin too.

More often than not, we become infected and impure by the organic processes which surround us unseen. More often than not nature messes with us. While it is true that sometimes synthesis makes a mess, more often we wind up with brass.

Brass is synthesized copper and zinc. Without it, brass choirs do not exist. How ironic that without synthesis "pure" brass instrumentation is impossible, but synthesized sound sampling is impure. HMMM...

Last time I wrote about the conflict between organic and inorganic, and how patently silly the whole thing is. John Lennon penned, "There's nothin' you can do that can't be done, nothin' you can sing that can't be sung." Ecclesiastes says "all is vanity under the sun." All life eventually ages dies, and becomes fertilizer for the next rotation.

Basically they are both saying that everything has a life-span, all things are replicable, all will eventually recycle, nothing is unnatural--EVERYTHING INCLUDING CORE AUDIO IS ORGANIC.

CORE is a tool in which a pallet of colors is made available in one relatively small and inexpensive package. I am grateful that such a tool exists, as it make hearing at least the color of and in my music possible--and it is pretty close too.

Ah, but we are social snobs--it hasn't been that long ago that all movie scores were synthesized. Now, to touch it is to become "untouchable," almost unholy. Certainly impure.
But...

I shake my fist at an unyielding sky
I cyber-cry but no heart is open
No one to listen not even the moon
Doth hear
Nor to shine
Nor to shine
Even sparkle a tear...


2 comments:

  1. I listened. :)

    And I'm not anti-synthesis. That's just silly. There's practically no musical group alive these days that doesn't use a synthesizer in one way or another.

    They all sound great, Dad. I "liked" the ones I really enjoyed, so you'd know. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sweetie, so I now have 1 hit. Thats cool! I feel like DC 18: 15-16. Substitute "playing music" for "crying repentance."

    "And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
    And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!"

    The fact is that the music is a grain among many, but not stellar; fair but not superior; OK but not WOW; listenable but not "gotta have." It is benignly tolerable.

    Still, it is cool to have my pieces posted in the same section as the Vienna Brass, and WYnton Marselis.

    But I am glad that you like it. I really am. And that is enough.

    ReplyDelete